Friday, March 18, 2011

Meet the Yéo Family (Part Deux)

Alrighty round 2 of meeting my host family and seeing where I live. Since I still haven't gotten everyone up it looks like there's going to have to be a round 3. Enjoy!!!

Mattieu and Daniel. They're both in their early 20s and some of the 'adopted' children at the house, meaning they are not biologically the children of my parents, but their treated basically as if they were. They haven't finished high school yet (thanks to the political situation the last 9 years) and spend every day except Sunday working at the family store.

This is Amos. He's about 11 years old, and is also one of the 'adopted' kids. I love his smile and sometimes catch him singing and dancing when he thinks no one is watching.

Annie and Sephora, washing the dishes, one of their usual chores. They also are
'adopted.' I had the chance to meet Annies actual mother at the women's conference. If Annie lived with her parents in a village she wouldn't be able to get the type of education she's getting living in Korhogo with my host-family.

View of the courtyard on laundry day. We have 3 mango trees which I've already taken advantage of.
Marie. The second youngest child of my host parents. She's 21 but hasn't finished high school either, because of the political situation she doesn't go to school at the moment, she spends most of her time cooking and cleaning the house.

Another view of the courtyard. The small building on the right is where I sleep, along with all of the other single ladies of the household.

Here is the 'grand-papa' of the household. Sidiki, my host dad. Since he is retired, you can find him in this position quite often.

2 comments:

  1. i love the way you blog, I'mg going to attempt to steal your format, but that means I need to take more pictures! :P
    nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed your last two blogposts! Especially coming back from Nicaragua and how little things about your posts reminded me of little things about our blogposts or our experiences this past week! Specifically, the mango trees :) It's official, I like mangos! I mean, how can you not when they're just right there for you to pick off the tree and not in aisle 3?
    I love you and I miss you so much! Te amo y te echo de menos!

    ReplyDelete