Thursday, October 25, 2012

Goodbye: a year in the making


My friend Steph is saying goodbye to Cote d’Ivoire.  Saying goodbye to a culture and people and community and family she’s been purposefully immersing herself in for the last 2 years.

Yikes (if cultural immersion sounds beautifully overwhelming (and it should) think for a minute about un-immersing yourself (oddly, the image that comes to my mind is being covered from head to toe in molasses)).  And of course as I think about her now, my mind goes back to a year ago, back to the night I purposefully memorized my courtyard, back to the day we drove away from our families for the last time. October 31st marks one year since my plane landed on U.S. soil.  

For months before leaving I was, well we all were, obsessed about What Was Next.  We spent hours researching on the internet and praying and talking it over and over.  Funny thing is during the very last month, the last week, the last day, What Was Next mattered less and less.  It was only What Was Now that mattered.  (and besides, want to know how many of us are doing exactly what we’d planned during all of that obsessing? not a single one of us).  We soaked up each moment, every day as precious, as a fleeting gift.  Instead of thinking about NEXT I hugged my little host sister tightly because I didn’t know how many more times I’d get to do it.

She’s a whole year older now.  They’re all frozen in my mind really.  Frozen at that age, in their usual outfits, doing their usual daily chores and habits.

But in actuality, they’ve changed.  Maybe a lot, maybe a little.

Steph is just starting her journey of goodbye.  In a lot of ways, and in a lot of selfish moments, I wish that my goodbye journey would be finished already.  I was only there a year, one measly little year out of the 25 I’ve lived so far.

But my year there clings to me still.  I've tried to remove it, to ignore it, to move on but I am still saying goodbye.  I’ve been saying goodbye (and often refusing to) for the last year.  And perhaps my goodbye will never be complete, but I'll carry my year there with me as life continues.

I opened up an old journal yesterday.  The one I was writing in for my last month in RCI.  My very last entry was October 25th, 2011, exactly one year ago and the day before we left to debrief in Paris. I'd read Psalm 125, and this verse stuck out to me.  I finished it with a prayer, a prayer I can't even remember praying:

Jesus I trust You. I trust in You as my God, Redeemer, Father, foundation, purpose, fulfillment.

I trust You, right now as I am leaving so many people and things I love.  As I go on to the 'next thing' whatever that even means.  As I am completely unsure about the future.

I trust in You.  You will guide me, You will fill me, You will show me even more about Yourself, You will give me grace. You will be with me, never leave me or forsake me.

I need not fear the sadness or bewilderment or confusion or the culture shock or
 being understood or not.
 I need not fear for You are with me.
I will not be shaken.

Thank You Jesus.  For all of this is only utter grace, I do not deserve ANY of it.  Its all because You died on a cross for me.  I am now cleansed by Your blood, covered in Your righteousness.
Deserving death and punishment, I now have abundant, overflowing LIFE.
Thank You Lord.
Fill me, lead me on today.  Let my eyes/ears be open to You!

I read this prayer out loud yesterday to my mom and I was surprised by the many tears rolling down my face. After I finished, she (tears in her eyes as well) said, "You know, I think that this prayer still works for today, for any day."
(And as with so many things these days) I think she's right.


3 comments:

  1. Well now I'm crying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, I want to be there with tears with you too! I love you. Always good to hear your voice through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So moving! Thanks for sharing Cait.

    ReplyDelete