Tuesday, November 2, 2010

En Afrique, a Bouaké

After saying a lot of goodbyes to friends and family, I left on October 24th for Denver and training. Training was an absolute whirlwind, jam-packed with a tons of information as well as meeting the other 9 journeyers. On Thursday (the 28th) morning, we left for Côte d'Ivoire. We arrived in Abidjan after 36 long hours of travel at 9:30pm. We spent the first night in Abidjan and left early the next morning for Bouaké. We got to Bouaké in time for a late lunch and then got a tour of our new home: Village Baptiste!! Village Baptiste is actually an former boarding school campus, known as International Christian Academy before la guerre (the civl war).


I'm sorry that I'm only giving you a basic overview of the last week. I am truly tongue tied when I try to think of what to say here (hard to believe I know). To tell you what these days have been like, what Côte d'Ivoire has been like, what JourneyCorps has been like so far, it feels almost impossible. Right now I feel like a sponge, soaking up all I can and I haven't started to process it yet. I guess that will have to come later.


So let me try to answer the rest of the basics:


There are 10 journeyers, 3 guys: Chazz, Jason, and Devin and 7 ladies: Heidi (my roommate), Steph, Naomi, Jamie, Holly, Alyssa, and I.


Our directors are Rod and Angelica Ragsdale. Rod is American and Angelica is German, both are veteran missionaries in West Africa. People describe Rod as an 'Ivorian with white skin' and he and Angelica were some of the only missionaries who stayed during the war. They are amazing, so willing to teach and disciple us. There are also 3 leaders who were here preparing for us and 3 leaders who came over with us and will only be staying a week.


There are Ivoirians who work and live on campus. Nema is here to teach us about culture. She is 28 and speaks English, French, and Dioula (the local language).


The weather here is hot and humid. It's rained nearly every day, not a light sprinkle but big boisterous thunderstorms.


I've been remembering more french than I thought I would, which is exciting. We all practice on each other as much as we can. Ivoirians speak quickly and with a very different accent so it might take a while for me to get used to.


The internet is limited and slow. I will try to get on as often as possible, hopefully a couple times a week, at least for now. I would love any contact though, and will write back when I can!!


I hope I can get on again soon to give more details!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good to have a little update! I have been thinking and praying for you guys a lot the past week. Thanks for the sweet note...I cried...shocker I know!

    Love and Hugs from PA. Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin, We are praying for you. May God go before you in your travels and walk beside you daily in your serving! May this experience open your eyes to the path God wants you travel. We miss you and look forward to more posts! Uncle Steve and Aunt Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad Paul gave me your blog. I have been thinking and praying for you. You are special.
    By the way "Your Hot Dog is ready".

    Uncle Ed and Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete